Sunday, 18 January 2009

The Fabulous Podcasting Pen

Over the last few months there has been a buzz amoung certain Melbourne librarians about THAT pen. People have got excited and envious, and there is some serious pen envy going around. So what's this all about?

Sitting on my desk at the moment is my new Livescribe pen from Pulse. This pen captures audio as well as remembers where the audio syncs with the notes I am taking at the time. The pen also lets me upload, manipulate, and share my notes and audio via the web. As a result, the pen lets me enrich and give context to my notes, as well as making sure I do not miss any important details. This has the potential to revolutionise the classroom and work meetings.

For example, I am going to a conference next week so I will be taking lots of notes. I was thinking of blogging during the conference, but I am not sure I wanted to lug my laptop around. I was also not sure I wanted to blog via my iPhone. I have become quite proficient at using the iPhone keypad but still it is not the same as a full size keyboard. The Livescribe pen solves this problem. I can sit in one of the conference sessions and take notes as well as capture the audio at the same time. At the end of the conference I can play back the audio, bookmarking and highlighting key sections in my notes. I can then post my notes and the associated audio to the web and share it with my colleagues. Next week's conference will be a test, but I see no reason why I can't put together a blog post which includes notes and the original audio.

The Livescribe pen comes in either a 1GB (over 100 hours recording time) or a 2GB (over 200 hours recording time) version. Click here to view the full technical details.

Most of the buzz relating to the Livescribe pen comes from its application in the education and business sectors. Livescribe has also just receive a Macworld Expo Best of Show 2009 Award.

If you want to see how this pen can be used, there are some very good videos on the Livescribe site. I have embedded one of these videos from YouTube into this blog post. See following for details and watch this space. In Australia you can purchase the Livescribe pen from Officeworks, and thanks to Bart for introducing me to the pen.

1 comment:

Bibliothekia said...

So does the pen work? Well, I have had to play around with the settings and adjust the microphone, so it is a bit too early to say, but yes I think it does work.