Tuesday, 18 November 2008

More on Gaming and Testosterone in the Library

In a recent post titled Gaming and Testosterone in the Library, I discussed a visit Karen (the Free Range Librarian) Schneider, Lizanne Payne (from the Washington Research Library Consortium) and I had to Brisbane City Library. Though I forgot to bring a camera, I promised I would add a link to Karen's photos once they were posted online, and so here they are.

There are photos of the sports and gaming area that has done so much to attract males between the ages of 18 and 35 into the library;

There are photos of the amazing book return system (the first of its kind in Australia). This book return system will cover its costs in 10 years via occupational health and safety savings alone; and

There are photos of the open holds area located near the entrance. The books on the open hold shelves are shelved spine down to discourage patrons from taking other peoples books.

As I said in my previous post, there is a lot that is interesting and amazing about the Brisbane City Library. Thanks Karen for posting these photos, and thanks Sharan for being such a fabulous guide. To view all the photos go to Karen's Flickr account at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kgs/sets/72157609222728130/. Enjoy.

No comments: