Sunday, 6 July 2008

Thing # 32 Online File Storage with Box.net

Not being able to use Omnidrive (see previous posting) I used Box.net instead. Setting up the Box.net account was easy, as was creating folders and uploading files. I uploaded two PowerPoint presentations and one MS Word document. See the following links for details:
Like Omnidrive, Box.net also uses the Zoho to allow you to edit word file. Box.net also allows you to tag your documents, as well as attach comments, move, copy, and rename the documents. you can also open and view files without having MS Office open which is very cool.

While the collaboration functionality of Box.net appears good, and it would be very useful when doing group editing, I think I would still use Slideshare when saving and presenting the final version of a Powerpoint presentation. See my blog posting at http://bibliothekia.blogspot.com/2008/04/slideshare.html for details.

While looking at Box.net it was also interesting to see the following information on their About Us page.

"Box.net is the first web-native system for access and collaboration which allows a broad array of functionality. With nearly 2 million users, over 1 million files served every day, and more than 1000 developers in the Box Enabled Network, the service is used by individuals, small businesses, and Fortune 1000 companies."

Learning 2.1: Online File Storage with Omnidrive

2 comments:

Amharican said...

On the subject of file backup, sharing and storage ...

Online backup is becoming common these days. It is estimated that 70-75% of all PC's will be connected to online backup services with in the next decade.

Thousands of online backup companies exist, from one guy operating in his apartment to fortune 500 companies.

Choosing the best online backup company will be very confusing and difficult. One website I find very helpful in making a decision to pick an online backup company is:

http://www.BackupReview.info

This site lists more than 400 online backup companies in its directory and ranks the top 25 on a monthly basis.

sheela said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Alessandra

http://www.craigslisttool.info